apex Apex Spotlight 4 - Weapons

Hades

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Sep 24, 2016

WEAPONS

Weapons are an important part of the game and provide the primary source of bonus damage in Apex. We decided early on that we want weapons to feel like a special item you've managed to obtain/upgrade rather than previously where every single user always had a sword. As such, the overall weapon system provides stronger weapons that are both harder to obtain and keep.

Mining Ores
Miners primary income is from mining ores, currently iron and coal, from the mine and selling that to the Blacksmith. Remember that Miner is a Tier 1 skill, and picking this will mean you have forego another skill, choose wisely!

Starting out, mining anything will take time - those who dedicate a decent time to it will level up to reduce the mining time for ores.

Ores are then taken to the blacksmith who will give you money for every ore you've mined.

Blacksmith & Weapon Purchasing
The blacksmith is a bot run business who will give money to miners for their ores as well as create weapons and items for you.

The catch with our new system is that the blacksmith requires a certain amount of iron and coal to make each weapon. For example, if you want to purchase a sword from him he must have 10 iron and 2 coal in stock. If miners have not stocked him up enough and he does not have enough, you won't be able to buy a weapon.

The stock he has available as well as how much of both ores he needs to make are visible in the blacksmith UI. The blacksmith currently sells axes, swords, throwing axes and lock picks.

Upgrading
Once you've got your weapon - great! You have bonus flat damage secured.

Now available to anyone with the Tier 3 Inventor skill is the ability to upgrade weapons to add bonus effects to them. We currently have 2 upgrades available with the chances of another one appearing before we open or sometime in the future.

Weapon upgrading is a big time investment, currently set at 2 hours and can give you:
  • Lifesteal - Heal for a percentage of the damage you hit on enemies.
  • Bleed - The chance to cut your target on hit causing them to bleed out for extra damage over the next few seconds.
General
With the goal to increase the value on weapons as well as the strength, the trade off is that the loss of weapons is now more common.
Being arrested for any length of time results in the loss of your weapons.
Your weapon still has durability and will break once you have used it all, there is no way to repair weapons. With that said the overall durability on weapons has been increased a fair amount compared to v2.

Feel free to ask any questions and we'll answer anything we have definite answers for below!

Last edited:

Afroman

Aug 4, 2018
Lol so if the purpose is to fight and there's going to be no safe zones and we die if we lose our weapons? That's dumb and a waste of time. Firstly that'll make people not want to fight or be extra cautious which will be boring. And I'm sure it takes time to get weapons and upgrade as you said so we would of wasted all of that time over s gang fight..?

Reactions: Hades and Trappy

Liquid

Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Lol so if the purpose is to fight and there's going to be no safe zones and we die if we lose our weapons? That's dumb and a waste of time. Firstly that'll make people not want to fight or be extra cautious which will be boring. And I'm sure it takes time to get weapons and upgrade as you said so we would of wasted all of that time over s gang fight..?
so fight without weps then lol

Reactions: sef

Baz

Mar 17, 2017
Apologies if this isn't related to this thread but is armour still a thing? They were pretty useful for indicating gangs

Hades

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Sep 24, 2016
This is a valid concern that's been bought up by beta testers too, we're working on a few other things to do with weapon dropping/stealing when you kill someone - weapons just "disappearing" after it's taken effort to obtain does seem counter intuitive.

Apologies if this isn't related to this thread but is armour still a thing? They were pretty useful for indicating gangs
Good spot actually it's meant to be in the blacksmith store! It's remaining largely unchanged except for the fact vip's have the ability to hide their armour.

Sarahh

May 16, 2018
Which part is confusing you? I can probably help :D
basically, if you get arrested or killed, you will 100% lose all your weapons, cant trade or anything? and everythings so expensive but how r we gonna make money? i thought there wouldnt be any corps? and so you can choose how u want ur wep to function? sorry if this all has been answered already i just dontreally understand it haha

Hades

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Sep 24, 2016
basically, if you get arrested or killed, you will 100% lose all your weapons, cant trade or anything? and everythings so expensive but how r we gonna make money? i thought there wouldnt be any corps? and so you can choose how u want ur wep to function? sorry if this all has been answered already i just dontreally understand it haha
We're still looking into death & weapon loss - we don't want to make it so strict to the point where there's no point fighting with weapons that's something that's been found during BETA testing so we'll keep you updated on that. On arrest yes 100% weapon loss.

Money making will come from crime (multiple heists, robbery), gang fighting (which now generates much more money) and from skills if you've picked any of the skills which involve gathering.

Sarahh

May 16, 2018
We're still looking into death & weapon loss - we don't want to make it so strict to the point where there's no point fighting with weapons that's something that's been found during BETA testing so we'll keep you updated on that. On arrest yes 100% weapon loss.

Money making will come from crime (multiple heists, robbery), gang fighting (which now generates much more money) and from skills if you've picked any of the skills which involve gathering.
nice! i like the idea of motivating people to fight and commit more crimes in order to generate money.

Jamalxo

Jan 21, 2018
Leeds
uhmm I understand it pretty well.. thought it be kinda like this the only thing I came for is how throwing axes work... If its been explained in another thread guess I aint seen. I heard it in replace of pull...? but how doess it work like fully. bc id rather be pulled back with a gang chasing me and try make them miss then be stunned from a distance and them all up my ass. Not (Negative) i like the blacksmith idea and dtuff etc players getting money from selling ores then blacksmith sells swords. Guess it will be same with medical stuff. Just wanna know how throwing axe works properly as this thread is under Weapons. Thanks

Hades

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Sep 24, 2016
how throwing axes work
Throwing axes require the Tier 2 skill "Cheap Shot" - they are thrown at the target for a chance to stun them, no damage dealt. As you level up the chance of the stun hitting as well as the range at which you are able to hit your target increases.

id rather be pulled back with a gang chasing me and try make them miss
This can still be achieved by moving diagonally / changing directions to create further distance. Further distance = less change of the axe hitting and stunning you.

Reactions: Jamalxo and Cammy